Haskell R. Street Wastewater Treatment Plant
The Haskell R. Street Wastewater Treatment Plant was initially constructed in 1923. The plant serves the central part of the city and currently has a treatment capacity of 27.7 MGD. The plant has undergone several expansions and modifications since then in an effort to meet ever-changing environmental regulations and to enhance the reliability of the treatment processes.
In 1999, a $25 million upgrade and renovation introduced several innovative treatment technologies including energy efficient anoxic treatment basins, biological nitrification, and natural gas fueled air blowers in the aeration process. The plant has the ability to discharge to either the Rio Grande River or the American Canal. The preferred discharge point is to the American Canal in order to provide irrigation water to farmers in the Lower Valley. In exchange for this irrigation water, the EPWU obtains valuable water credits for surface water that is treated to provide drinking water, thus reducing our dependence on groundwater supplies from the Hueco and Mesilla Bolsons. The plant has also added sand filtration capabilities and a 1 million gallon elevated storage tank to provide reclaimed water to local parks, schools, industries, and a local golf course.
Since 1988 the plant has received a total of 3 National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) Peak Performance Platinum Awards, 12 NACWA Gold Awards and 7 NACWA Silver Awards. In 1994 the plant was selected as both the State of Texas and USEPA Region VI winner of the USEPA Operations and Maintenance Excellence Award in the Large Advanced Plant category.