EPWater celebrates utility’s engineers, legacies
Engineers make El Paso Water and our community a better place. EPWater will celebrate our engineers, who possess a toolbox chock full of skills, during Engineers Week – Feb. 18-24.
Engineers are problem solvers, inventors, designers and analysts, but the most successful engineers at EPWater know their productivity hinges on one very important skill – teamwork.
Engineering requires teamwork, and EPWater’s engineers often collaborate with a variety of technical experts and workers inside and outside the field on each project. Our frequent collaborative partners include El Paso Electric Co., the City of El Paso – such as the Planning and Inspections or the Streets and Maintenance departments – and engineering design contractors as well as EPWater’s various divisions – from fellow engineers to our general service work crews.
Engineers have helped EPWater design and build many infrastructure projects that support water production and distribution, wastewater drainage and treatment and stormwater flood control. This year, we will shine a spotlight on employees Veronica Galindo, Elsa Ochoa, Ivan Hernandez, Ed Fierro, Alfonso Sierra and Manuel Perez, each of whom has made a difference at the utility. All have taken pride in serving El Paso – whether in the areas of water, wastewater or stormwater management.
What’s Happening - Engineers Week 2018
- Texas Society of Professional Engineers will host its annual banquet on Feb. 16 and recognize EPWater’s Chief Operations Officer Fernie Rico as the 2018 Engineer of the Year.
- TecH2O Learning Center’s free DiscoverE Family Day will be Feb. 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Engineers, operators and other employees will help with hands-on activities for young visitors.
- Special engineering supplement in the Sunday edition, Feb. 18, of the El Paso Times will feature stories on EPWater’s elevated storage tanks, the Fairbanks stormwater improvement project, and our use of innovative technologies.
- Videos and profiles of six of our engineers will be featured on EPWater’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Gisela Dagnino will be a guest speaker at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy at Ysleta Independent School District and do her part to “Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” on Feb. 22.